HISTORY


Paper mill Netstal is the oldest industrial enterprise of canton Glarus.


1679


For the first time mentioned as paper mill. Before 1679 Heinrich Weber-Walcher (1654-1722) starts a paper mill business alongside the river Linth.


1765


Change over of the company property by marriage between the corn miller Ludwig Zweifel (1729 – 1779) and the daughter of the papermaker Fridolin Weber. Fridolin Weber and his family owned the company until 1921.


1854


Construction of the “Untere Papierfabrik”


1870


Fitting of a paper machine in the “Obere Papierfabrik”


1917


A new corporation has been founded.


1921


The paper mill needs to be sold to the “Genossenschaft des Schutzverbandes der Papier verarbeitenden Industrie der Schweiz” (EIKA).


1922


The “Untere Papierfabrik” has been avulsed nearly altogether. After that it has been revised with a new turbine, wood grindery and a 220 cm wide paper mill.


1925


The company Vereinigte Papierfabriken Netstal AG has been founded.


1974


EIKA has been decided to shut down both factories. But the English company group G.T. Mandl took over the “Untere Papierfabrik” and established the new corporation Papierfabrik Netstal AG. The wood grindery has been closed and the paper mill has been modified from production of graphic papers to the production of filter papers.


1985 – 1990


A complete renewal of the common machinery and fitting of a new paper machine has been done. Escher-Wyss / Reinhard


1994


Paper Mill Papierfabrik Netstal AG advanced to the second largest European Coffee Filter manufacturer.


2001


The Papierfabrik Netstal AG took over the Riemenschied Coffee Filter Production AG.


2002


The whole Coffee Filter production removed to Nossen (Germany) and the product range has been diversified in areas like Agricultural-, Hygienically-, Medical- and Food Stuff Paper.